Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Holiday Review

For families across the country, the holiday season means spending time with loved ones.  But I think a lot of us can agree—family weirdness only multiplies during the holidays.


Take, for example, Thanksgiving at my aunt’s house last weekend.  At first glance, you’d think we were a typical family enjoying the holidays together:  We hugged and jumped right into conversation as soon as we got into the house, we ate Thanksgiving dinner with (most of) the usual ingredients (a goose instead of turkey, Aunt Donita? Really?), and even had a traditional pumpkin roll for dessert.


And then Great-Aunt Erma brought out the accordion.
My family has never fit under any definition of “normal,” but bringing out the accordion to sing half a dozen Czech polka songs was a first for us.
And if that wasn’t bad enough, I had brought my boyfriend to this particular family gathering to meet the majority of my extended family for the very first time. And they knew that.
Thanks, Erma.
It's becoming more and more apparent that I was either:
A) born into the wrong family, or
B) born into the right one just so there would be some sanity amongst us.

1 comment:

Like me?

web hit counter
Provided by website hit counters hit counter gallery.